Monday, April 16, 2007

Free Speech and Don Imus (and Guns)

I don't get it. Why is it that Americans (fine, I'm generalizing) will stand behind their Bill of Rights and all the amendments when it suits them (ie they want to buy a gun) but they'll lynch Don Imus for exercising his first amendment rights? I don't watch Don Imus, and I doubt I could pick him out of a line, but shouldn't he have the right to state his opinion of a basketball team? Even if it's an offensive ignorant one? Isn't that what free speech is all about?

I haven't really studied the first amendment (nor will I ever) but I don't think it says that you have the freedom to say whatever you want as long as you don't offend anyone. Ultimately, being Canadian, I don't really care, I just think it's interesting that Americans claim to have the right to free speech when in reality they don't.

*Update - Maybe the government hasn't censored Don Imus, so maybe he still does technically have 'freedom of speech' but there is a huge outcry from the American public over something he said. Maybe the government hasn't censored him, but the public has, which leads me back to the point about Americans standing behind their Bill of Rights when it suits them.

In other news...

Some nut-job with a gun(s) walked onto a campus at Virginia Tech and shot a bunch of people. Some news station (MSNBC or CNN) said they got an email from someone saying something along the lines of - if more people exercised their right to bear arms then fewer people would have died (because the student writing their exam would have reached into their sock-holster and BAM! Problem solved.) Then, when that guy becomes a hero, we'd have a bunch of trigger happy wannabe hero nutcases shooting people on campus.

Gun toting student 1 - "Are you copying my paper?!"
Gun toting student 2 - "Ummmm, No..."
BANG!
Gun toting student 1 - "Ooops, he's not even in my class. My bad"
Gun toting student 3 - "Did you just shoot that guy who was copying my paper?! I was going to do it..."
BANG!
Gun toting student 4 - "That guy hitting on my girlfriend looks like a terrorist."
BANG!

Why is it so damn important to carry a gun? The main reason IS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM SOME OTHER KOOK WITH A GUN.

Why do they have a gun?

BECAUSE YOU'VE CONVINCED THEM THAT THEY NEED IT TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM A THREAT THAT ISN'T THERE.

STOP IT.

NOBODY IS AFTER YOU.

The media is going to spread fear too. Universities aren't safe! Don't go there!

Maybe they're right. I just thought of something, I spent 5 years at a University and I wasn't shot once. Want to know the secret? Well, send me $10 and I'll send you my protection against gun toting nut-jobs. (All sales final. Product only 99.999% effective.)

No comments:

Post a Comment