Wednesday, April 21, 2004

The Root of my distaste for (some) Leaf Fans

When Conan O'Brien was in Toronto a few months back, I watched the shows. I like Conan O'Brien, I think he's a funny guy, and it was good to see him come to Canada for a week. I'm sure the ratings were crap in the States, but he did it anyways. Regardless, what does this have to do with the Leafs you ask? WELL, of the 4 nights Conan was here, how many do you think contained individuals repeatedly yelling out "GO LEAFS!!"?? Did I hear anyone say all four?? Conan wasn't talking about hockey, the show had little to do with hockey, why on earth do Torontonians feel the need to yell "GO LEAFS!" at a non-hockey venue?? Am I wrong in saying that the Leafs shouldn't be on someone's mind while they are watching a Conan O'Brien show? It doesn't make sense, and typically, things that don't make sense bother me. Do you think that if Conan were in Ottawa the audience would have repeatedly interrupted him with "GO SENS!!", or if in Montreal, "GO HABS!!"? No, of course not. Why would they? I was embarassed when watching those shows because it makes us out to be a bunch of slack-jawed, rowdys who don't think about anything but hockey. There is more to being Canadian than that. I'm a hockey fan, I like it, I watch it, but if I'm walking down the street at 2 pm, I'm not thinking, "Man, those LEAFS are great, my universe revolves around them, so I hope they make it the next round as without them my life has no meaning".

No comments:

Post a Comment